by Sutapa Sanyal
As the head of the Anti-human trafficking units across Uttar Pradesh, I have focused on fighting human trafficking by strengthening the capacity of AHTUs. Here is a look at the work I’ve done in this area:
INITIATIVES FOR STRENGTHENING OF THE ANTI-HUMAN TRAFFICKING UNITS (AHTUs)
Training and Capacity- building
- Facilitated the training of about 6,000 functionaries from government departments and law enforcing agencies on Human Trafficking, covering the whole state.
- conducted 3 State level trainings to enhance response and functioning of 35 AHTUs with support from SCPCR and UNICEF.
- Sensitized 2500 police personnel under “NAVCHETNA” program on women and children’s issues and human trafficking, including soft skill development/evolving victim-sensitive response of police personnel
- Carried out joint video conference with Home Department and other stakeholders for checking Human Trafficking and enhancing police response in the wake of the Nepal earthquake.
GOs & Advisories
- Extensive efforts made to implement MHA orders on Trafficking
- Submitted policy paper and proposal for notification of 35 AHTUs as police stations with jurisdiction in contiguous areas
- Official support and guidance to Law Enforcement Agencies and NGOs for linking up with AHTUs
- Designing and sharing with the districts, SOPs developed regarding the various forms of trafficking and how to deal with them
- Monitoring the implementation of the ‘Bachpan Bachao Andolan’ writ of Shri Kailash Satyarthi regarding registering of FIRs of missing children as well as the writ filed by Gudia
- Spreading awareness and monitoring the implementation of the directions of the Hon Supreme Court, High Court and JJ Courts, monitoring the implementation of the provisions of the JJ Act / JJ Board
- Contributed extensively in the State-level Meet on the proposed Anti-human Trafficking Bill coming up in the Parliament
Infrastructure and Monitoring Support
- Designing Anti-human Trafficking tool with Unicef for monitoring the resource -base of the 35 AHTUs
- Distributing and monitoring the utilization of the funds provided by the Central Government (MHA) for infrastructure development , maintenance and victim support
- Creating What’s App group for AHTUs for quick sharing of information and official orders
- Monitoring of Varanasi and Gorakhpur AHTUs for identifying the challenges at the ground level.
- Development of 10 Model AHTUs to effectively deal with trafficking cases and roll out of Community Policing initiatives