by Sutapa Sanyal
As the lead officer for child related policing across the state of UP, I have collaborated with UNICEF to establish 20 Model Special Juvenile Police Units (SJPUs) and 20 Model Child- friendly Police Stations.
INITIATIVES IN CHILD PROTECTION
Work undertaken at the ground level
3562 missing children were recovered during 2015 -2016 under Central Govt. campaigns of Operation MUSKAAN and Operation SMILE.
- Children from UP found outside the State as well as children of other States found in UP restored to their respective homes with the help of Childline and Child Welfare Committee.
- Development of 20 Model Special Juvenile Police Units (SJPUs) and 20 Model Child- friendly Police Stations with the support of UNICEF and a local NGO
- A massive outreach program called Ru Ba Ru started in collaboration with UNICEF for educating students regarding the various aspects of safety and security which has covered over 33,000 students so far
- Self- defence and personality development training imparted to about 13,500 students
Training and Orientation
- Four State-level training programs for 75 SJPUsand 35 Anti-human Trafficking Units(AHTUs) on recently updated Juvenile Justice Act,2015 with support from SCPCR and UNICEF to provide Child Friendly Police response and treatment to children in need of care and protection as well as in conflict with law.
District level workshops for more intensive capacity-building of concerned police personnel.
Review, Monitoring and Reporting
- Mahila Samman Prakosth along with UNICEF jointly implemented the visit of Belgium National Committee to observe the child-friendly policing initiatives in Varanasi
- 3 State -level review meetings of Model SJPU and Child – Friendly Policing Initiatives done by Home Department and MSP.
- Monitoring of the Agra, Ghaziabad, Varanasi and Gorakhpur SJPUs to observe their functioning and coordination with other departments and NGOs.
- Monitoring as well as data analysis of POSCO Act, Child Labour Rescue cases etcetera
Model Special Juvenile Police Unit & Child-Friendly Police Station